Wednesday, April 20, 2011


 

Robert Eugene Wisehart
12/11/1939 – 05/01/2010

It’s been almost a year since my dad died; time flies by whether you want it to or not.  And a lot has happened in that year.  In the past year, I’ve seen a strong man grow weak and I’ve seen a young woman grow strong.  One of my best friends graced us with twins and my brother-in-law got engaged.  Other friends got jobs or got pregnant.  Everyone has managed to keep moving and at times, I’ve just floated along in their current without screaming, without crying and kept a smile on my face.  And I finally figured out that Dad would have genuinely smiled.  He would have loved all of it… so in his honor I figured that, as hard as it is for me to talk about at times, I should memorialize that funny, silly, wonderful and special guy. I don't often say out loud how much I miss talking to him but I do.

My dad was diagnosed with RCC in late January of 2010. As with a lot of kidney cancer patients, by the time they found the cancer there wasn't much that could be done. But I find that I don't want to talk about Dad's experience with cancer... I'd much rather tell you a little about his life. Talking about the cancer continues to give it power, I don't want to give it any more of that....

Dad was born on December 11th, 1939 to James and Thelma Wisehart. He was their second child and their first son. All told Grandma and Grandpa had 9 children. Dad was preceded in death by his parents, his oldest sister (Jo) and his youngest sister (Terry). At last count there were enough "Wiseharts" to fill up a couple of movie theaters ... We're a big family.

Dad grew up in Indiana and upon graduating from high school, joined the Navy. He served four years aboard the USS Essex aircraft carrier as the ship's photographer. He was honorably discharged from the Navy in 1963. In 1965, he joined the Washington Township Fire Department. He was an Indiana State Certified Master Firefighter in Tactics, Arson and Fire Prevention. During his career, he served as an Arson Investigator and Assistant Chief. He retired as a Lieutenant after 32 years. I believe, in the truest sense of the word, my dad was a hero.

Dad loved Nascar and Colts football. He loved his family and he particularly loved playing jokes on all of us. He was an honorable man and he was a brave man. He was well loved and had a fantastic life... we miss him a whole, whole lot.
 

Laura Sue Wisehart