Wednesday, October 27, 2010


Chris E. Jewart
January 30, 1968 - July 26, 2010


Beloved husband, father, son, brother, papa and avid OU Sooners Fan


Chris was diagnosed Oct 7, 2008, with Stage IV RCC.  The news was devastating; but in true Chris form, he was back to work just 2 months after his surgery to remove his left kidney. Chris handled treatment well and worked for a year after his diagnoses. In December 2009, he was informed by the oncologist at MD Anderson that he probably had less than a year to live. Chris never allowed this type of news to get him down.  Unable to work any longer due to the amount of pain medication he was taking, Chris turned his attention to showing his custom Harley Davidson.  It had been done up in OU colors and was autographed by 3 of the 4 living Heisman trophy winners. Chris made it his mission to get the last Heisman signature from Sam Bradford but was not having any luck.

Chris' health started taking a turn for the worse on June 3, 2010, (our 16th wedding anniversary) when he suffered a seizure. He was in the hospital for three days on a ton of steroids.  He was told the cancer had spread to his brain. The month to follow was all down hill. Chris began loosing weight at an alarming pace. We made our trip to MD Anderson on July 6, 2010, where we were told what we already knew.  The cancer was growing.  The doctor gave us two options.  Option 1 - a new treatment;  and Option 2 - do nothing with two months to live. Chris in his fighting form, took option one; but, after the first treatment, became very ill.

On July 10, 2010, Chris called the family together and told everyone that he could not do the treatment and that he would be leaving us within 2 months. Hospice came in on July 13 and it seems that we were on a down hill roll.  Within days, Chris was in and out of it. His nurse told me that we probably only had days left. Days went by and Chris stayed at the same level. His nurse was shocked, she said it was like he was holding on for something and HE WAS!  On July 22, 2010, our grandson was born and was having heart problems. We did not tell Chris he was here as we wanted him to see his grandson. Tysen (our new grandson) was born with heart issues, his heart was beating at a really high rate (220bpm) at the same time Chris' heart rate was 101; Tysens dropped to 190, Chris' went to 116; Saturday Tysen' rate was 170, Chris' was up to 130; on Sunday Tysen' was down to 98 and Chris' had jumped to 156. I awoke Monday, July 26, to find Chris resting comfortably. I took his vitals and they were good.  His heart rate was down to 68. I told him I loved him and that I would be back in a minute. I needed to call my boss back. When I returned, Chris was no longer with us. I believe in my heart that Chris left at this time to take care of our grandson, who has not had a problem since with his heart.

My husband always handled this disease on his terms.  He fought it hard.  When he couldn't fight it anymore, he left on his terms, taking care of his family. I believe that he is watching over our family just as he said he would.

As for that last Heisman signature he needed for his motorcycle ~ well we got it! Two days after Chris passed, we were able to get his bike signed. God works in mysterous ways.

I wish that I would have had more time with my loving husband, but I know that I will see him again one day, free of pain. ~ Edie Jewart